Sunday, September 28, 2014

Super Sculpey pet projects, Series shows and Baby Groot!

Two weeks have flown by like a flash of lightning!

I've been working on some new pet projects with Super Sculpey and finding that having some time to do some sculpting sessions and working in 3D is really creatively charging and very cathartic. I've always loved modelling things but I'm always so hooked on 2D that I forget how much I love to sculpt in 3D. Being a huge fan of Brian Froud's (artist of Labyrinth, Dark Crystal) I wanted to create a little desktop character for myself in the form of a cute little 'friend'. He stands 4 inches tall.

I searched through my 6 Brian Froud books and found this lovely little creature that I felt needed some life breathed into him. I call him my "Little Star".


As you can see I used Brian's book "Runes of Elfland" to help me to create this little creature whom I love have sit on my desk while I decide what colours to paint him. I'd love to see him painted in some creams and violets with some greys in the folds of the fabrics to help bring out some shadows. I'm leaving his face colour the skin tone and painting his little eyes a deep fairy-like black. He will also have little tufts of hair coming out the sides like the picture in either greys or purples and stringy. I will post some more progress in painting Little Sshortly.

A couple of close friends of mine get together weekly to do this little sculpting session and we play movies or TV shows that we've already seen in the background while we work like: Sherlock, Marvel Movies, Star Trek, Hellboy - so we don't have to commit to watching it fully and be too distracted. 
Speaking of shows I'm currently following: Witches of East End S2, Hannibal S1, Once Upon a Time S4 (starts today!!!) and Doctor Who S8 (starting to really like Capaldi).

Coming Up....

I MAY...have something in the works. I have a new Guardians of the Galaxy piece i'm working on and I just finished sculpting a Baby Groot. He stands 7.5 inches tall. I had a world of fun with it and I can't wait to paint this little guy! He's so happy! I will show more as the work progresses. 




Cheers! J xo







No comments:

Post a Comment