Tuesday, August 12, 2014

My beloved life-long favourite comedian Robin Williams now rests.



I was going to start doing work today but after the news of the tragic death of Robin Williams I feel the need to write about it before I carry on with my day. I was born in the 70s. I wasn't blessed with a very happy life growing up and Robin Williams could make me laugh even in my darkest times. I lovingly watched Mork and Mindy with my parents and remember how funny he was and how he made my family laugh with joy. We used to watch that show all the time and it was a 'happy' time in my life that I remember we all shared until things fell dark and eventually worsened.

I have ALWAYS loved his comedy, his fierce wit, it quick reflexes, his sweet face, his infectious smile and his rich and playful energy. I'm also very changeable but if you ever asked me who my favourite comedian is - it's no doubt Robin Williams. Countless of his movies have left me in tears and stitches from the sheer amount of laughter he had me in. Some of my most favourite movies of all time included him: Goodwill Hunting, What Dreams May Come, Good Morning Vietnam, Hook, Mrs. Doubtfire, Aladdin (best character ever), Dead Poet's Society and all of his stand-up recorded shows.

The world has lost a brilliant, generous and kind genius of a man. He was apparently as tormented as he was brilliant. The world of entertainment and it's viewers are devastated by this terrible loss. When I heard the news, I cried. I've never cried over someone I have never met dying before. It was terrible. My heart was in a knot and was just wringing out the tears. I told all of my immediate friends and Father and we are all so shocked but none so much as me and my Dad.

He left a beautiful legacy of children and a wife and all the hearts he touched over his amazing career. It's amazing the amount of laughter he brought to the military and many sick children and adults as he kept their hearts alive with laughter. I'm just so heartbroken that nothing could be done for such a sweet, sweet man. I had a pang of ... "but... there must have been SOMETHING one of us could have done!". Depression is real, it's serious and it takes lives every day. I've been battling it to varying degrees all of my life and I maintain to keep an open stream of communication so that if I find myself in the dark from time to time - I have a friend I can call. If there is anything I can say - there is always love to guide us even in the most minimal of forms. We just have to have the heart to follow.

One of the most beautiful people on this planet in my life said, "A friend once told me that it takes a lot of courage to live and it takes a lot of courage to die." It's never an 'easy' way out as some people might think it is especially when we are reminded of those we leave behind.

I will always love you Robin Williams - O Captain My Captain, until time and times are done.
Rest in Mighty peace and shine in the light as you are a light in my life and millions of others.

Love Always, Jaime Gervais
XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment